Sunday, July 20, 2008

Preparations for Leaving Boston




In the whirlwind of preparations, there's little time to reflect on the nuances of my upcoming travel. Its a bit like that 50 feet or so before the cliff ends and you gotta just jump off the edge into the water. Nonetheless, I'm formulating ideas to refine my exploration and set up enough structure to gain the most out of these upcoming months. Aspects of the research I'm working on at the moment:

1. Considering a dual approach to each community. One focused on meeting the needs of the community with little to no personal / aesthetic dictation. Another focused on consideration of what the community could need, based on my own knowledge. Perhaps a dual presentation of the two - two separate designs or recommendations, followed by a conglomerate scheme depending on reception

2. Thinking about funding sources and potentials for presenting the research later. Have a few resources in mind but will continue to fish.

3. Working on identifying people and types of people that I would like to foster connections with during my journey. Hoping to make some good connections and friendships along the way.

4. Finalizing my itenerary, trying to make good decisions about a broad range of community types, as well as lengths of stay that are useful to the community and to my research, but also give enough time for "chasing butterflies."

So, checking things off of my list and pulling together last bits and pieces, and of course trying to see my friends and associates before leaving. Had a great Gumbo going away party. Even wore Grandpa George's coat and shoes.

No comments: